Monday, November 15, 2010

MN State Cyclocross Epic

Jordan making the pass on the downhill.
Winning the Clydesdale Race!
Photo compliments of Dave Gabrys

The term "Epic" was over used, but what other word describes racing in 6 inches of wet slushy snow?

This was to be my last race of the season, in the Clydesdale division (> 200lbs). We started about 1 minute after the elite women, and caught the tail end of their field right away. Donimator took off like a rocket, earning the whole shot while the rest of us were getting in each others way. I picked my way around people to make it up to Donimator's wheel. Bill Kuster joined us briefly, but he was on his 2nd race of the day, and dropped off the pace shortly thereafter.

We caught the leader of the women's field, Jeanne Fleck, early in the 2nd of 4 laps. I was simply following Donimator's line, who was much faster than me through the turns and technical stuff. I thought about trying to pass him on the straights, but there just wasn't much room, so I just did my best to follow his pace.

Half way into the last lap, I made my move around Don. My gears were frozen, so I couldn't really just drop the hammer. By the time we reached the top of the stairs, he had bridged back up to me, only to endo on the downhill, sealing my victory. Thanks for the great battle Don!

Jordan raced the Cat 1/2's. His starting position was OK, but he chose to ride instead of run the first part, then he fell. By the time he got rolling, he was way back in 20th spot or so with little to no room to move up. He stayed tough, and slowly worked his way up. 12th or so after the 1st lap, 6th after the 2nd lap, eventually moving up to his final position of 4th. Way to be tenacious Jordan!

Results can be found here.

No comments: