Saturday, February 17, 2007

Rollin' on the River


I decided it would be fun to ride on the St. Croix River today, and Treb obliged. We started just across from Hudson and rode to Afton State Park. It was slow going, and a tough workout. We were constantly looking for a better track. The snowmobile tracks were pretty crusty, and we just kept breaking through, and thrown around by the tracks. I swear it was tougher than riding cobbles, and it seemed to get even worse as we went on, especially the last mile or so. Great way to work on developing power, my lower back is killing me. It took us about an hour and a half to ride about 15 miles, with a tailwind even.

I tipped over a few times on the ice. At one point, I was just screwing around, and tried riding a wheelie. I went over backwards and couldn't clip out, right onto my back. Nice move exlax.

By the time we got to the warming house at Afton State Park, we were exhausted. We scored a couple bottles of Coke from the machine, and I dang near fell asleep in my chair. Starting up again was tough. Both of us were soaked in sweat, and the road went downhill into the wind right at the start. Brrr. By the time we got to Afton, the front of Treb's jersey was frozen solid. We scored some warm drinks and food at the Afton Bean, then headed home. All told, 4 hours in the saddle, and 43 whopping miles.

3 comments:

Donimator said...

I can't wait to take my boat out on the river this summer...

Anonymous said...

You'll do anything to avoid a train these day's Choo Choo.

Skibby said...

wow, that really sounded like fun.... Choo-Choo!