Sunday, July 12, 2009

Hopkins Crit


Jordan and I both doubled up at the Hopkins Crit. Jordan won the Juniors 10-14, and finished in the pack in the Cat 4/5. I played a teammate support role in the Masters 35+ and Cat 1/2.

The Masters 35+ race was fast and hard. Every time the pace relaxed at all, there was an attack. I spent many a lap riding soft tempo of the front of the field, with teammates ahead in breakaways. I got in a break with Sedgewick and Binkowski, but didn't get far. Skarpohl and Townsend has a good gap late in the race, but were also caught. The race was too fast, and the field was too strong for a break to stick. Hanna took the win, with teammates Woller and Scott Flanders 4th, and 5th. I had the average speed of the Masters race at 27mph.

The Cat 1/2 race was even harder. The averages speed was in the mid 28mph range. Groups tried to get away, and some lasted longer than others, but it kept coming back together. With about 10 laps to go, coming out of turn 4, a bunch of riders in the tail of the group got pinched by a curb, and several guys went down, me included. I was OK but my bike was broken in half. Everyone else seemed be able to walk away as well. In the end, Teammate Woell gave teammate Zim an awesome lead out on the backside in the last lap, and Zim took the win. His second year in a row winning the race. Woell held on for 6th. Well done Zim, and way to go team Flanders!

1 comment:

jbrabbit said...

Glad your ok. Way to be positive after laying down an Italian masterpiece.