Friday, September 28, 2007

Chippewa Falls Cross Country - Long Ride Home


Another weekday cross-country race. It seems like were going to these all the time the past few weeks, which we have. Carla, Jordan, and I drove all the way to Lake Wissota State Park in Chippewa Falls, WI to watch Maren and Hudson High run. It was a perfect evening, and a beautiful venue, right on the lake. Maren ran very well, and finished 16th in the JV 5K, with a personal best time of 23:57. Way to go Maren! Unfortunately for Maren, they only awarded the top 15 ribbons, so she just missed out. I explained to her that happens to me all the time. Regardless, she was very happy with her performance.

Results



After the race, I rode home to Hudson. I knew it was going to be a long ride, and required me to ride in the dark for much of the ride. On top of that, never having ridden those roads, I had to find my way west, looking for quiet roads. I didn't have any trouble finding the roads I wanted. I did get caught in a 15 minute downpour about an hour into the ride, but got to see a cool full sky rainbow as a result. Riding directly into the setting sun was also a little bit of an issue, but safe enough with the lite traffic.

It was dark by the time I got to Menomonie, and I still had 40 miles to go to Hudson. I stopped in Knapp to refuel, and called Carla to tell her all was well. There was a huge full moon, which lit up he night. I had 2 tail lights and a great headlight, so I was very visible. I finally rolled into my driveway at 9:45PM. It was one of those rides where if I knew what I was getting into at the start, I probably would have skipped it. That feeling always makes me appreciate a long ride even more.

No comments: