Wednesday, October 24, 2007

My Rule of Thumb

I have a somewhat unique perspective as both a racer and the parent of a junior racer. As a parent, I see how Jordan looks up to riders, and takes their lead on what is acceptable and unacceptable. He and I admire the racers who are dedicated, and follow the rules to the letter of the law. He knows the rules are there for both fairness, and our safety.

Whenever I am faced with a real-time decision regarding the rules as a racer, I simply ask myself "What would I suggest Jordan do in this situation?" Bottom line: How can you respect yourself, or expect people to respect you, if you take the rules for granted?

Here is an example. You are in a road race, with a strong crosswind, forcing an echelon from right to left. It's so easy to rationalize riding over the yellow line as long as your not the only one, right? Now put your young child in that situation. Would you want them to take that risk?

4 comments:

Lunatic Biker said...

Very good point, Mr Cullen. I worry about these youngsters at the Dog where basically these kids are riding a bike on a road where the posted speed limit is rarely observed and one sign that says BIKE RACE IN PROGRESS doesn't mean all that much to motorists.

Anonymous said...

"Not many opinions offered"

I think you should rewrite your tagline - I like the new Jim!

JimmerC said...

Clearly, I feel pretty strongly about the rules, as they have a direct impact on Jordan, and his safety. Sorry Homme. That's all I'm going to say. Fewer people listen to someone who complains or rants all the time. The overall content and intent of my blog will remain unchanged.

Anonymous said...

When the situation comes up when he is the victim of a "gutter-ball" ...tell him he needs to attack, and attack and attack again