Sunday, November 11, 2007

Rum River Cyclocross Recap


My first time doing a cyclocross race with my Garmin. The changing barometric pressure during the course of the race messed with the altitude baseline a bit, but you get the picture. The course was flat and fast, as advertised. Several people got flats due to a pipe sticking out of the ground (including Jordan in the B race).

Jordan did both the C and B races again. He won the younger juniors in the C race, and then flatted in the B race. We put on a fresh front wheel, and off he went. He dropped pretty far back in the field, but kept riding hard. He ended up 2nd from DFL again, just like at the Grumpy's B race. His 1st place trophy for the day was a really cool railroad spike.

I started out slow as usual, and ended up solo stuck between 2 groups. Eventually,I made it up to CJ and we rode together for most of the late laps. On the last lap, I saw I was within striking distance of Mike Phillips, so I buried myself to make the bridge. I caught him headed into the single track, and chose to let him lead me through. I planned on out-sprinting him down the hill to the finish, but I couldn't get around him. In hindsight, I should have made a move to pass before the railroad bridge, and force him to come around me. In any case, nice finish Mike. I ended up 16th overall, and 5th in the Masters 35+. My average HR for the race was 171bpm, which is what I normally run at Black Dog. Dang!

For the Masters 35+ CRY, nothing changed in the current standings. Congrats to the top 3:

1. Dan Casper
2. John Struchynski
3. Pete Maxwell

I never placed higher than 4th in any of the races (even the lightly attended ones), and that's where I finished in the CRY series, 4th. I'm very happy with that result, being that I more or less a cyclocross hack.

Click Photos Below for High Resolution Version.
A Race Results (Top 25):

B Race Results (Top 25):

C Race Results (top 25):


Jordan rockin the downhill

2007 Younger Juniors CRY Podium
(Michael 2nd, Brian 3rd, Jordan 1st)

Ray

Kristy Kreme

Linda

Suffering on the Rum River
(Compliments of MRS)

And I thought I was suffering
(Compliments of MRS)

Click Below for photos of the C and B Races:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, no one needs to see some were a lap down, get those off here.

Dan Cleary said...

yeah and no one needs to see i didn't make sheet #1

Anonymous said...

yeah man, nobody needs ta see all yer fancy toys.
Nice flipp'n photos, nice eye. Get Jordo to enter the video contest! With Ray as color comintator.

Lynne said...

I've been stealing photos. Thanks!

Is it wrong that I love to see everyone else suffering? ;-)

Anonymous said...

you cut yer self short...
...you got 3rd in CRY by my calc, Max didn't do enough races.
Next year I'm race'n the old class.