Sunday, March 09, 2008

2 Loop Weekend. Riding with a World Champion.


Saturday morning was way to cold, so we waited till the afternoon to ride. 20deg was good enough for us to do the Prescott Loop. The SSE wind is my wind of choice for the route, in favor of a good push home at the end. We saw fellow Hudsonite Roger Parenteau finishing his ride as we departed. Stops in Prescott and River Falls were spaced perfectly for warming back up. We finished up in the dark, our lights ablaze.


Sundays weather was much, much better. 30 deg and sunny, with a similar wind. As luck would have it, we came upon Roger Parenteau again, only this time he was just starting. He stayed with us for the first hour, and pressed Jordan in the climb up Trading Post in Afton. Roger has Masters Worlds Track Championships in the Kilo and Pursuit. He coming back from a couple years of battling illness, and is doing very well I must say. It was sure great catching up with him.

After Roger left us, we continued on our 2nd Prescott Loop of the weekend, and even added on a hill and some mileage. At our rest stops, I've been eating Apple Pies lately since I heard Gordy Paulson does the same. Jordan and I also drank a quart of chocolate milk in River Falls, and Jordan paid the price. He had a nasty stomach ache for the last 10 miles. Maybe a pint will be plenty next time?

6 comments:

Kevin Gilmore said...

I was told that chocolate milk makes a great refueling drink but I've never had much success with it. A Hostess product and some G-aide are what work for me.

dg said...

Glad to hear Roger is doing well and riding. What a great guy. I remember Masters track nats in Kenosha(I just did sprints there if I recall) anyway, Roger towed another World Champ/Olympian Gil Hatton around Kenosha in a Pts race for at least 40 laps. Roger kept looking back and asking Gil to pull. Gil just shook his head and said he couldn't. Roger just kept hammering. It was impressive.

Skibby said...

replace the chocolate milk with v8, that's the other Gordy secret....

I like the "we even got in extra miles" comment. You act like you don't get enough miles! So with those "extra" miles, you gonna hit 10,050 this year????

:)

GoBigGreen said...

Jimmer,
Bob the Dog is alive and well. Working at the U and has 2 kids, i think. I see him running on the river road occassionally. He is a solid guy, no ego whatsoever.
That is very cool you went to school with him!
Julia

Lunatic Biker said...

Trainer conversion chart goes something like: 2000 trainer miles equals 5 miles towards your total.

JimmerC said...

Lunatic, trainer miles account for less than 10% of my annual mileage. Training is training.