Saturday, July 26, 2008

Mellen - Jordan's Last WISPORT race


Jordan was having a great race today. He was with the front group of about 20 riders 7 miles from the finish of a 47 mile race. I was so proud. Then it happened. A rider touched wheels in front of Jordan, and down we went. Jordan had no chance, and I was unable to avoid it as well. I think about 8 guys went down. I popped right back up, and went to help Jordan. He said he though his wrist was broken, but I coaxed him back onto the bike, and we limped in to finish 16th and 17th overall. Serious tough guy points to Jordan.

The EMT's triaged him, and then we headed home to the Hudson ER. Sure enough, Jordan was right, his wrist is broken. They even had to sedate him to pull it back into alignment. As you can see from the picture, he managed to break his fall with his face. He has abrasions just about everywhere. Vicodin is his friend right now.

Carla and I felt so bad for him about not being able to race Nationals, but he wasn't too disappointed. He said "There's always next year." What a great attitude. We're so proud. We're still going to California anyway. Now we have more time to spend at Disneyland and Hollywood. We'll still watch some of the locals race too.

As far as my injuries, mostly my pride. I flopped on my back, and my bum took most of the impact. I only wish I could have swapped places with Jordan.

11 comments:

OTR said...

Dang! Loons are going to be extinct on the road at this rate. Bretz totalled his shoulder last week.

Get well Jordo!

Dan Cleary said...

Get better Jordo.

Lunatic Biker said...

Sorry to hear this news Master Cullen. I'm sure you'll heal fast and be back out there really soon. Glad you didn't have any serious injuries, Mister Cullen.

Anonymous said...

Very sorry to see you in a hospi bed.

Darrell and Gunnar are disappointed you will not be racing together in Cali.

Take your vit D, and calcium and heal fast.:)

D.J. K

StevenCX said...

Jordan's hard core now! :)

JimmerC said...

Thanks everyone for your support. Everyone had kind words today at the MN state crit for Jordan. What a great community of people we have.

Anonymous said...

Way tough...way way tough!

Unknown said...

bummer man, get well. the rest will do you good.

Anonymous said...

Oh Man! Who's gonna mow my lawn now? LOL

Aunt Sara

Gordy Paulson said...

Hey Jordan-very sorry to hear you crashed. You'll heal fast and strong...next year belongs to you!

Anonymous said...

Dang Dude! Hopw you start feeling better soon. Sounds like it was a nasty spill you took. and by the way like your dad said Serious tough guy points for finishing that thing out, I don't know if I Would have.