Thursday, September 14, 2006

My First Cross Clinic


Boom Island was great last night. Perfect weather (for a roadie, anyway). I was amazed to see how many people showed up. There must have been 50+ people there. I had no idea cross was so popular. I spent most of the night riding with "InPain-man" as he now refers to himself. A few guys ribbed me about riding a MTB, but it's what I've got. I only saw a couple other guys on MTB's, otherwise all were on cross bikes. Last night's lesson was re-mounting you bike, learning to avoid the infamous studder step, and scary looking superman technique.

The Mock Race was fun. InPainman and I started slow, and ramped it up. It's definitely more painful that road riding. You feel fast when jumping the barriers and in the tight corners, but I felt bogged down whenever the course opened up. I just couldn't get the bike rolling. I felt comfortable jumping the barriers, but the run-up killed me (it was soft dirt that sucked me in like a vaccuum). The constant speeding-up and slowing-down was also hard on me. I'm a ride fast and steady kind of guy. I awoke this morning to discover there are a few muscles in my body that need some work, I assume mostly from the running and jumping.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man that was a good time last night Jimmer. I was impressed. I'm still full from that burger though.

Large Falling Icicles said...

Do you know how many people do that Headwater 100? Man racing that with 3-4 bottles will be tough. Nice site.