Saturday, September 23, 2006

A true epic


It was long, it was cold, it was windy, and it was wet. This year's Headwaters 100 had all the ingredients for an "epic".

Not sure how many starters, but I'd guess around 60. We were the only Tandem. No real big guns like last year. Bob Mairs and Steve Hunter were probably the most notable. A ton of Loons and AUC racers in the crowd. Skibby got lost and just made it in time to start.

Casual roll-out. Nothing of note for the first 10 miles or so. Anytime one of the GP guys would attempt to get away, one of the Loons, typically Skibby, or and AUC guy would bring it back. There were 2 Cat6 riders that were also active, as well as Rich Settergren from Duluth. After about 20 miles, Mairs and a Cat6 rider get a small gap. I'm close enough to the front to mount a chase, so I scoot through a gap, which big Joe Hamlin almost closed on me (Thankfully, Joe let me through). I work together with Skibby to get the 2 close, but then I notice Mairs look back, and instead of sitting up, like any normal rider would, he puts his head down and gasses it. Most of the field must have thought we were back together, because I gassed it too, and pretty soon it was just me and Tim Sproul crossing the gap.

Tim and I catch the leading 2, and the field looks to be playing it cool. With representation from all the major teams in the field, there is no one left to chase. I sit on the back, telling the guys it probably is not fair if I work, since I'm probably not going to be contesting for the win anyway. Mairs is doing most of the work, with the Cat6 guy and Tim taking shorter pulls. Suddenly, Tim pulls out, and goes back to the field. Too much too early for him. I foolishly stay.

I stay with the leading 2 for about 10 miles, but every time the road goes up (no real hills mind you, just rollers), Jordan and I struggle to stay with. Eventually, we give up, and look back to see a chase group of 3 coming across. I tell Jordan we will regroup, let them catch, and the follow. The 3 include Hunter, Rich S., and LSC's Bernie K. They pull Jordan and I back up to the leading 2. Now there are 5 plus us on the tandem. Once again, everytime we go up, Jordan and I drift back. At about mile 55, I'm on the rivet again trying to close the gap, and Jordan asks to take a nature break. I was worried about this happening, but strangely, I was greatful. We stopped, and I took the opportunity to adjust my brakes. The rear brake stopped working just after the start of the race, and my front brake was almost gone too. By the end of the race, both sets of pads were toast.

I explain to Jordan that we will roll at an easy pace, let the pack catch us, and then pick it back up. Before we stopped, we knew the field was about 3 minutes back. Unfortunately, we were left alone on a cross wind section. Even though we were attempting to re-fuel and rest, it was still tough. The field caught us at mile 65. As soon as the field caught us, my team started riding hard again, since they knew the break was probably away for good, securing Bernie's high finish. This is just enough to pop Skibby and I off the back. We chase back on several times, but at about mile 80, we we're both cooked, and off the back.

We rolled along together, and joined up with Hemstead's son Eric. Jordan and I were doing our best to ride a steady tempo on the front, and it turned out to be too much for Skibby and Eric. We ended up riding the last 10 miles alone. On top of that, Jordan asked for another nature break with about 5 miles to go. I made him wait that time. Nice Dad, eh?

Up front, the 5 became 4 after they dropped the Cat6 guy. Later Mairs and Hunter left the other 2. Here was the finish order:
1. Mairs
2. Hunter
3. Rich S. (the 2 50+'ers schooled this 18 year old, wow!)
4. Bernie K.

It was Jordan's first Century, even if it was on a Tandem. He tells me next year, he's solo.

1 comment:

Large Falling Icicles said...

Waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy tooooooooooo faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!