Saturday, May 26, 2007

Wrenshall TT Recap

Sorry, can't download the Garmin data till I get home.

Conditions were cold and windy. Headwind start, then crosstail, then crosshead. I started 1:00 behind Casper who kidded me I'd catch him for payback from TNT 2 weeks ago. Fat chance. Kruiser started 30 seconds in front of me, a perfect rabbit. Jordan started :30 behind me, and Timmer started 3:00 behind me, so I figured that was a safe gap, and didn't think about it.

I started hard as usual, and got my heartrate up around 170 right away. I caught Krusier just after the turn into the crosstail wind. From that point until the next turn, it was mostly a slight downhill, with just a couple rollers. I kept turning my 56-12 as much as possible, and it felt pretty good. I caught Mike Lyner for 2:00 at about the halfway, so I was pretty sure I was on a good ride. Then it started to rain. That kind of sucked, but it wasn't that bad.

I took the turn into the crosshead wind, and it hurt. I was wet, the road was rough, and it was a false flat most of the way home. I kept jumping between a gear that was too easy, and the next which was too hard. I just ground it out until I saw John Stamm ahead. He started 3:30 ahead, and I knew if I caught him, I was definitely on a good day. The last mile was deadpan flat, and I buried it as much as I could. I couldn't get my heartrate over about 175, so I was pretty wasted. I finished in 37:03 for an average speed of 26.3mph. Ave HR was 168.

Casper scored the overall win in a super fast 35:16, just 3 seconds ahead of Timmer. Great job guys. My time was actually good enough for 1st in the Masters 35+, and 3rd overall. Whoo-hoo! I got paid twice! I was only 1 second ahead of Mike Johnson and Matt McDonough. My teammate Paul Rennert got second in the Masters 35+ for a Loon State 1,2.

Jordan won the younger juniors by 17 minutes. Another job well done. Pretty soon, I'll have to think about putting clip-on aerobars on his bike. Not just yet though. He's fast enough.

2 comments:

AdamB said...

Nice job fellas!

Those aerobars take some getting used to, though. Especially on open courses with traffic and crosswinds!

Dan Cleary said...

You rock JimmerC. And, good job to Jordan too.