Friday, May 21, 2010

Fast, But Not Fast Enough

Finally found my legs last night at the County Cycles Time Trial. To say I've been struggling this year with my form is an understatement. Last night was the first time this year I felt like my old self. However, I was still humbled by an unbelievable performance by Jon Toftoy.

Perfect conditions last night. 80 degrees, light wind, and dry. Turn out was very light compared to the Ride and Glide TT's. Not sure why, publicity?

Start order (30 sec between riders):
Andy Tetmeyer
Eric Oftedahl
Jimmer
Missing Rider
Jordan
Timmer
Toftoy

I figured Andy and Eric would be perfect carrots for me, and I was right. I also figured Jordan would catch me for a minute. Thought I had a chance of holding off Timmer and Toftoy.

Part of my struggle this year has been getting my HR up. Not a problem last night. I was running 10bpm higher than previous efforts. I knew I was on a good ride, and caught Eric at the halfway point, and Andy at the turn onto Manning.

I struggled a bit in the stair step rises on Manning, and someone comes blazing by me. I expected it to be Jordan, but no, it's Toftoy! He's already caught me for 2 minutes?

I check over my shoulder, and can see Timmer closing too. By now, I'm on the faster section of Manning, and dig deeper. My mind and legs were working together, and I pulled back a little time on Timmer all the way to the finish.

I rolled back to the parking lot with the guys, and start wondering what happened to Jordan. Turns out he had a bad night, having some cramping issues in his right leg and glute. Despite this, he still averaged over 26mph. Jon and Timmer helped Jordan out post race showing him some stretching exercises to loosen the affected areas. Thanks guys!

Toftoy smoked a new course record, averaging over 29mph! Dave and Holly Ludwigson rode a great time on their Tandem.

Toftoy: 27:48
Timmer: 29:10
Jimmer: 29:54
Ludwigsons: 30:54
Jordan: 31:10
Oftedahl: 31:27
Tetmeyer: 31:42

Results Posted

1 comment:

Meow said...

Dang! That Toftoy is insanely fast isn't he?!
Glad to hear that you are comin around!! And Jordan IS lookin very pro these days...NICE!!