Monday, May 17, 2010

LaRue Denzer LaRue Road Race

Back to Baraboo, WI for another hilly road race. The LaRue Denzer LaRue course is one of the toughest, if not the toughest road race course I've ever done. 2 long climbs per lap = 3800ft of climbing over 50 miles. However, since the finish is at the bottom of a long downhill, it's not necessarily a "climbers" race. It is a race of attrition, but there is generally a survivor regrouping on the downhills after each climb.

The weather was a welcome relief. A beautiful sunny, calm day.

Masters 1/2/3 Recap:
I raced the Masters 1/2/3, with very low expectations. I had some gear skipping issues just after the start of the race, and ended up pulling over on the first climb to make a barrel adjustment. I was dropped already anyway.

I regrouped after the steeper sections, and got rolling pretty good. To my surprise, I caught back up to the group in the flats on the top. I knew the downhill was coming, and wanted to be on the front, so I held my pace, and went around the entire field. I drilled the downhill and didn't even look back. By the time I got to the finish of the 1st (half) lap, I found myself alone, just ahead of the group.

Gordy Paulson bridged across and we worked together all the way to the climb. The field sat up, and we had the intention of making it to the top of the next climb before we were caught. Gordy made it, I didn't. I hooked up with Dave Eckel at the top, and we worked together to almost catch the field before the next long climb.

My legs, lower back, and mind gave out on the climb. I struggled to keep going in my 39-27. As I labored, the Cat 3 lead group of 15 riders, Jordan included, passed me. I made my way over the top, down the hill to the finish line, and called it a day. Another DNF, but no regrets. It was a beautiful day.

Cat 3 Recap:

Jordan raced the Cat 3's. He found the climbs to his liking, but held back from attacking until the last lap. He attacked the first climb of the last lap, and got a good gap with fellow junior racer, Darrell Kohli. However, they were caught by a small group of chasers on the long downhill. Jordan attacked near the top of the last climb, and got a solo gap, but was caught again on the downhill. This left it to a high speed sprint finish at the bottom of the downhill, not one favorable to riders with junior gears. Jordan finished 6th in the sprint. Well done, considering he was dropped 2 weeks ago at Circuit of Sauk.

Cat 1/2 Recap:
I volunteered to drive behind the Cat 1/2's as wheel support. Its a great way to watch the race, plus help the riders out with any problems. Kyle Jacobson got a flat on the 1st lap, grabbed a wheel, and made it back. That was the only issue on the day.

The winning break formed on the first climb, when 7 riders got away. Alex Wiesler and Kip Spaude from IScorp, Colton Barret and Bryce Mead from Texas Roadhouse, Robert White of Kenda Gear Grinder, Ben Anderson of Team Wisconsin, and Dave Hackworthy from Bianchi/Grand Performance. They worked together well, and quickly established a 4 minute gap. Gone for the day.

Bryce was the first casualty of the lead group, shortly followed by Barrett. They lost touch on the first climb of the last lap. Robert White lost touch on the final climb, leaving it to a 4-up sprint. Wiesler got the win ahead of Hackworthy, Spaude, and Anderson. White 5th, Mead 6th, Barrett 7th. Jordan Roessingh of IScorp won the sprint for 8th.

Results Posted

1 comment:

Meow said...

Thanks for the race reports Jimmer!! I love reading them and have missed 'em as not many write them up anymore!!
See ya soon!