Saturday, May 24, 2008

A cold day in hell

I had a very good ride at the Wrenshall TT. I don't know what I was more proud of, donning the Duluth Classic Stage Race Leaders Jersey, or beating both Casper and Timmer. They admittedly both had bad rides, but I've gotten so used to being beaten by them by such a large margin, that I'm going to savor it.

Unfortunately, the Leaders Jersey weighed heavy on my shoulders in today's South Range Road Race. I rode comfortably for the first 2 laps, but then I got soft legs the last time up the long grinding climb, and popped. There was nothing I could do but watch the gap open. As a consolation, I was able work with Chad Christenson, Matt Muyers, and Todd Kinart to limit the damage. Chad was my biggest ally, and we both drilled it to keep it close. Even with most of the 9 riders up front working hard to pull as much time out of us as possible, we were able to keep the damage to just over a minute. I dropped to 3rd place, 50 secs behind Jacobs, with Dobbertin taking over 2nd spot. Current M35+ Open GC Standings

Thankfully, Charlie Jacobs will be wearing the jersey tomorrow. Have fun with that Chuck. I plan to be a different rider at Lakewoods, with my normal colors on.

1 comment:

StevenCX said...

Congratulations! That's awesome!