Thursday, May 08, 2008

"That was a lot harder than I thought it would be."

Photo compliments of Ray

So says Carla. She said giving birth was harder, but that's about it. Last night's Black Dog was Carla's first bike race ever. Congratulations, you've been initiated. We rode the Tandem, with her as stoker. We rode the Tandem a couple times together last fall, and she decided to give it a whirl this season. She spent many days on the trainer this winter, and it payed off. We rode a 16:20, for an average speed of 25.0mph. She paced herself very well, and I have to say I was rather sluggish on the way out, due to my earlier solo effort. Tandem partners Charlie and Sherry started a 1:30 behind us, and were able to pull back almost a minute. They rode a 15:38. Nice job guys.

Jordan was a little jealous to learn Mom is a Cat 4 (no Cat 5 category exists for women), and he is still a lowly Cat 5.

4 comments:

Lunatic Biker said...

Way to go Carla. We can do lunch and shop for shoe covers some time.

Anonymous said...

Carla, I was so excited to see you in line to race tandem! Let me tell ya, being the stoker is quite a challenge in trust--Not seeing the road ahead, makes for the biggest challenge for me.
Jim, My legs were like lead on the way out and my HR was down, once around the cone I felt better. See ya next time. Sherry

JimmerC said...

Thanks Sherry. We're looking forward to many match-ups with you guys this year.

Anonymous said...

Great first ride, Carla!! The Cullen team tradition is now established. We start out winning by a little and by the end of the season you guys blow by us for the year's record tandem ride... Right Jordan?
Charlie