Friday, July 13, 2007

1980 World Championships Climb


Our first ride in France was awesome. We didn't get going until 6PM because we had to travel from Lyon to Megeve, and then assemble our bikes, which were delayed a bit.

The weather was picture perfect. The roads were quite a bit busier than any of us expected. There was no shoulder, but cars gave us a wide berth. I was a good little cyclo-tourist, and stayed behind the lead guide the entire time. The group was a bit large, around 25 or so. Later we split into 2 groups, and it was more manageable. The descent into Domancy was narrow, twisty, and fast. There was just enough room to pass oncoming traffic. You definitely had to be focused and careful, and everyone was.

The climb was pretty brutal, at least for the first 1/2 or so. Our guide Eric, rode a tough tempo up the lower, steep slopes, and put most of us in the red. Then we regrouped, and headed back to Megeve. It took us an hour to ride 15 miles. I wanted to get some more riding in, and headed back out solo to do the same loop again. It was much better the second time. I knew where I could open it up on the downhill, and my legs felt much better the second time up the climb. In the end, I got 2 hours, 30 miles, and 3000+ feet of climbing.

I got back just as dinner was being served. We had an starter course which I didn't eat much of, but the entree was bow tie pasta with chicken, beef, and mushrooms. I loved it. Dessert was a fruit cocktail. Russ managed to fumble a plate onto one of our compatriots named Rob. It was good for a laugh.

After dinner we wandered over to the town square, where they had a luminaries parade, followed by fireworks, I assume associated with Bastille Day. It was pretty cool.

Tomorrow, we view the first Mountain stage of the Tour 300m from the top of the Col De Columbier. The day includes 4 mountain climbs over 90 miles. It's going to be a gas.

3 comments:

Joe Baker said...

Jim--

It's been fun following the blog. It's nice to see my bro becoming a climber. I'll look for the LSC kit on the climb to Columbiere on tomorrow's stage. Be sure to wave to the cameras!

Joe Baker

JimmerC said...

You Bet Joe.

John is clearly in heaven, as the rest of us. His riding took a step function about 3 weeks ago, and he is riding stronger than I have seen in about 10 years.

I'm confident all our homework over the past month will payoff on todays tough ride.

Donimator said...

You will pay for the extra ride today...nothing is for free