Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Death Ride


This was definitely the most physically challenging thing I have ever done. Especially considering the previous 5 days riding.

First we descended the lesser known north side of Alpe D'Huez, down to the Croix de Fer. The Croix de Fer was beautiful, and difficult. The gradient changes a lot, and has some really steep pitches. There are 2 mid-climb descents, which alway suck, knowing you have to climb back up again. The Iron Cross was really cool.

Next we descended down the north side of the Croix de Fer into St Jean de Maurienne. However, the valley road is closed, forcing us to climb the short, but steep Col du Mollard. Ouch. Our lunch stop was the half-way point. The food was very good, but left us all stuffed, and worried about the rest of the ride.

After lunch, we headed up the valley to the base of the Col du Glandon. It was by far the hardest climb we did. Way harder than the Telegraph/Galibier. It's 18K, and with 6K to go, I was so knackered, I stopped at the sag van, and dropped everything I could. I was overheating so badly, I even took off my helmet for the rest of the climb. I know, me, the preacher of wearing helmets. I figured since I was only going about as fast as a brisk walk, I was safe. The last 2K is dang near straight up. I was completely wasted at the top.

The descent down the Croix de Fer was awesome. It is more open than most of the other descents, so you can really carry speed. I maxed out at 57.5mph.

Several people bagged on the ride headed up the Glandon, and even more did so before the final climb up the north side of Alpe D'Huez. I think 15 people started the death ride, and only 5 finished. All the 3-star riders bagged it, including their guide. Only our guide (Andy), Painman, Treb, myself, another rider named Ben made the full monty. Well done fellas.

No comments: