Monday, July 30, 2007

Coming of Age


Photo circa 2002.

It seems like just yesterday I was back home in Minnetonka, running cross-country for the Hopkins Royals. Here it is, 23 years later, and my daughter Maren is starting high school, and joining the cross-country team.

Hudson High School held their athletes code of conduct meeting Sunday night. It basically is states students must keep their grades up, attend class regularly, and stay away for drugs and alcohol. If they don't, the can't participate in sports. They were just starting a similar program at Hopkins when I was there. As a student, it seemed so lame, but as a parent, it takes on a much different light.

There are so many pitfalls for kids these days, every little bit helps. I was a very clean kid in high school, and it's easy for me to simply think my kids will be the same. The reality is, you have to talk to your kids, and constantly remind them how important it is to live a clean life, and study hard. More importantly, tell them you love them, and that they can come to you with any problems, big and small.

I'm way excited to watch Maren run. She's growing up so fast, I'm glad she's taking advantage of all that life has to offer.

3 comments:

SickBoy said...

Jordan looks like a completely different kid without the mop up top....

but yeah, right on....

Dan Cleary said...

Good stuff JimmerC. See you soon.

Lunatic Biker said...

Jordan, can I bring the clippers to the Dog so we can both sport the same hairdu?