Saturday, August 23, 2008

Masters 35+ MN State Road Race

Decent field of 24 racers, plus I had teammates in the form of Painman and Red Lantern. Long story short, 4 laps, finish at the top of the hill. 16 guys hit the base of the final climb together. Bryan Joas crossed the line 1st for what looked like his 2nd straight MN State Roads title, but it turns out he was DQ'ed for crossing the center line. That gave the win to Grandstay's Ray Coyle. Painman was a surprise 2nd, with former teammate Woller 3rd. Congratulations guys.

The weather was rather brisk at the start, but warmed up quick. Rather breezy too. My goal for the day was to ride the front, and cover moves. Matt Muyers and I spent healthy amount of time on the front.

Halfway through the 2nd lap, I broke a spoke, and had to swap wheels. The wheel car was right there, and the group waited while I chased back on. By the time I rejoined, Hollywood had attacked solo. We continued to ride tempo, and keep him in range. He stayed away for about a lap, only to attack again with a GP rider. Most aggressive rider definitely goes to Hollywood.

Kudos to teammate Red Lantern, who rode the best race I've ever seen him ride. He rode up front with me, and even broke away solo towards he end of the last lap for a while.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch is all I say, didn't no about the spoke, sorry dude. Way ta get back on with 1 ta go.

Dan Cleary said...

thanks for the nice words jimmer. i enjoyed myself and feel pretty good about my effort.

thanks to jordo for the handups. i really appreciated that.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Choo Choo!