Saturday, November 25, 2006

And the hits just keep on coming



Another perfect fall riding day. Bob Rolle came over for another long ride today. My neighbor joined us at the start as well, but split off after an hour or so. Bob and I were headed to Hagar City, and attempting to hit a few climbs on the way down. We hit the Beldenville Pass, Crosstown, a 14% killer climb (name unknown), and a couple others.

The ride was perfect, right up until we got into Hagar City, and my rear derailleur cable end snapped off inside the right shift lever. Great! I'm at the farthest point from home, and now I'm on a fixed gear.

I decide to tie the cable off, so I'm not stuck in the 12. I was shooting for the 15, but once the cable slack was taken up, I was in the 14. I decided to live with it. So now I've got 35 hilly miles to ride home, with the choice of a 39x14 or 53x14.

We basically hammered for about 20 miles, with Bob and I trading pulls. Then just to make it interesting, Bob missed a turn, and I couldn't get his attention, and couldn't catch him either. I looked for him for a while, but it was getting dark so I headed home. Thankfully, he found his way home and was waiting when I arrived.

After these last 2 rides, I expect tomorrow's ride from the 318 in Excelsior to be completely uneventful.

No comments: