Sunday, April 27, 2008

A Snowy Criterium in Excelsior



My plan was to do the Masters 35+ first, and then the Cat 1/2's, which were consecutive, giving me a full 1hr40mins of racing.

Only 16 lined up for the Masters 35+, including newly snipped Hollywood. Hollywood attacked from the start, and held a gap for a couple laps until he gave up the ghost. The rough course did a number on him, so he eventually pulled out. A few laps in, it started snowing. The pace was fast, with a few attacks that didn't stick, but then Sedgewick and Binkowski got away on a prime lap, with no one to give chase. I didn't feel like racing for 3rd, so I went to the front, and pulled for as long as I could. Thankfully, Chris Johnston gave me a little breather for a lap or so. I was able to get the group close enough at the bell for them to close the last few meters winding up the sprint. As I expected, Pete Hannah won the race. I actually was disqualified for bad language. Guilty as charged. In the heat of the moment, I brashly asked for some help up front, and an official heard me. There is zero tolerance for it, so keep it clean.

There were 25 or so lined up for the Cat 1/2's. It was a good mix of riders, with no dominant team. My plan was to just sit in, and enjoy the snowy race. Then a few laps in, the entire field relaxed, and I took the opportunity to jump around the left side. At the same time, Hanna was jumping around the right side, and we were off. We worked well together, and established a healthy gap for a few laps. However, it was not to be, and they brought us back just after a prime lap. I mostly sat in the back for the rest of the race. I jumped around the field to give chase of riders off the front a couple times, but that was all I had. We actually stayed together to the finish, with Doig, Dan Swanson, and Muenchow pulling away on the final lap for the top 3 spots. I rolled in at 10th.

I ended up getting 3 primes during the 2 races, for gift cards to the 318 Cafe and Excel Cycles. Thanks to Verve racing and Excel Cycles for putting on a great criterium, despite the weather.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jimmer- you got DQd? What the-duck- did you say?

JimmerC said...

Something like "Someone else better take an effing pull." I both regret it, and apologize.

Tenacious T said...

I assume that the irony of this is not lost on you... :-)

Lunatic Biker said...

Good thing the officials don't hear the exchanges between Rosenberg and I during cross races. It's ok Mr Cullen. The F-word shouldn't be considered a swear word any more. I've had 70 year old woman use it when I make them remove a tree.

Anonymous said...

219 DISQUALIFIED - Language


nice!