Sunday, December 10, 2006

5 to 7 Pounds Below Race Weight



So it's pretty obvious the 4 of us are pretty excited and motivated for the trip to France. Turns out that during a conversation with the tour operator, JB was told we should shoot for 5-7lbs below our normal racing weight. Crap!

This would explain why JB called me for a long road ride this weekend. I'm always the one bugging JB to ride, and I never bother him to ride this time of the year.

Perfect weather for riding this weekend. JB and I rode in WI on Saturday. I hadn't ridden with him since the Firehouse 50. Him riding this much, at this time of the year, has the rest of us spooked a bit. Now we have to work extra hard too. I guess there's nothing like a little friendly rivalry to motivate each other. JB even said he might shave his beard for the trip, stating "It's got to be equivalent to a titanium part on the bike."

We even had a little adventure on the ride, stumbling upon a park road with a short 20% grade gravel climb. Both of us barely made it up, nearly falling over a couple times.

4 of us showed up for Painman's west side ride from 318. Thought there would be more, but apparently the rest were tired from the bike party? It was just Painman, Ritz, EPO, and me. We rode into Mpls again on the paved trails. There was some frost on the roads, but no problem. We even stopped to help a New Zealand woman with a flat.

On the way home, I couldn't help myself, and proceeded to drag Painman and EPO on an alternative route back to Excelsior. It added a few miles, and some hills. Even though they were cursing me, I could see the twinkle of personal satisfaction in their eyes at the end of the ride.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I went back out for another 5 after you left. I hear Treb and JB did the same.