Thursday, March 08, 2007

What's a Gaper?


"Gaper" (pronounced gay-per): a person who owns all the right equipment, looks great standing in the lodge, but is a terrible skier. Used by locals to make fun of tourists.

Treb, who is a very good skier, defines a "Gaper" by other qualities. For example, anyone who uses the safety bar on a lift (Guilty, fear of heights you know). Anyone who wears rear entry boots, or bright fluorescent ski clothing. Anyone who rides the Tram to the peak, with their skis, and then turns tail, and rides the Tram back down.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about those with safty straps who arn't there to ski tele?

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha! I've still got my Salomon SX-81's. They have seen a fair share of double-black diamonds over the years, including Big Sky, Copper, Breck, Steamboat, Beaver Creek. I've lost track of how many times those Salomons have been down the back bowls at Vail or on "Highline" or "Look Ma".

They are easily the most comfortable boots I've ever had. Yes, they are a bit mushy, but I like them that way (I'm weird I guess because I also am a Tele-skier). Last year I skied rentals at Park City and after a half-day I could barely stand to stay in those 4-front-buckle boots.

So, screw the snobby "gaper" crap.

Skibby said...

those look like stormtrooper boots...