Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Roughing it and Sportsmanship

Some of the things I noticed that are different than I remember from my high school cross country experience.

1. Most of the schools have large tents with their school names printed on them.
2. They use chip timing.
3. They rode on coach buses.

In my experience, the only shelter you got was the occasional tree. Back then they used a stop watch, and we rode good old school buses. Times sure have changed.

A comment on sportsmanship. Most of the girls on Maren's team are great kids. However, there are a couple girls who have let their competitive spirit get the best of them. Examples:

Yelling "See you." as you pass a teammate.
Commenting "ha ha, I beat you." to a teammate after the race.

Maren is the type to say "Come on, you can do it." or "great race." She is definitely the encouraging type, and a good sport.

17 comments:

Christopher Smith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JimmerC said...

Whatever happened to "Minnesota Nice"? I know, I know, I live in Wisconsin.

A good example of how sarcasm is difficult to portray in text.

Unknown said...

he's from coon rapids..

Christopher Smith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I've recently noticed that you never really have anything good to say on other people's sites.

Unknown said...

mine incuded.. which were deleted.

Anonymous said...

We used to play tennis while it was snowing, no joke. But we did always shake hands even if we didnt really want to. I guess people could call bad lines if they wanted to be poor sports at which point we didnt really care but the fans/parents went ballistic.

Maren is doing awesome!! I love watching fall high school sports, keep posting on her events. And skip the football. I can get enough of that on tv.
Julia

Christopher Smith said...

OK Timmer.

Sorry Jim.

Unknown said...

no offense smithers but i just think you should keep the negative energy on your own site... it's been on a slippery slope for a while and taking people with it.. i miss the youtube bike racing vids and race analysis

JimmerC said...

This is exactly why I don't regularly offer my opinions, since debates don't play well via text exchange.

Tone Coughlin said...

What? Chip timing? Pretty soon they'll be driving golf carts cuz 3k is too far!

Large Falling Icicles said...

Sportsmanship... I said, "ha ha, I Beat you" to Tone and he tried to punch my lights out.

JimmerC said...

Thanks for making my point Rich Settergren. Bad behavior brings out the worst in others. Call a really nice guy a bad name, and he'll probably tell you to eff off.

Most likeable people don't brag, and in the process, rub others faces in it.

Anonymous said...

Who said Rich was likeable?

Large Falling Icicles said...

So its ok to beat somone up if they show poor sportsmanship, your just not labeled as, "a really nice guy," any more.

Large Falling Icicles said...

oh never mind, thats not what you meant Jimmer. he he, Tone...

Anonymous said...

Rich is a very likeable kid. Many people have said so about him. Keep your negative energy to yourself Tone or you will find yourself in more trouble than you bargain for.