Saturday, August 23, 2008

Jordan's 1st Race Back

Jordan raced the MN State RR today, exactly 4 weeks after he broke his wrist. He raced the younger juniors, who sported a field of 5.

Jordan rode aggressive, and attacked at the bottom of the 1st climb. He never looked back. I rode behind the group, and stayed behind the field until the top of the climb. It took me almost the whole lap to catch him (and I was hammering). From there I stayed with him until he dropped me on the climb to the finish for the win. Being from WI means no championship for him. He won the WI State Road Championship back in June.

I was spent at the end of the day. All tolled, I rode a hundy. First century since LSC training camp, and that's the truth.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't be surprised by this. Eric Heiden broke his wrist in 1980 before the Olympic Trials (that's the Summer Olympic Trials). When we got his cast he had a set of handlebars to hold on to to make it easier to ride with. He rode the kilo at the trials (with the cast) and made the team as an alternate.

Of course, in the end 1980 was a bad year to be an Olympic Athlete. At least in the summer. I don't think Heiden got a trip to Disneyland to compensate.

Anonymous said...

Eric Heiden won 5 gold medals at the 1980 winter olympics for speedskating :)