Saturday, September 20, 2008

Jordan catches and passes Jimmer in a TT


Yep. The day came sooner than I thought. Jordan beat me Saturday at the WISPORT Worlds TT in Waumandee, WI.

I rode Donimator's TTX, but the rear brake clearance with my Renn disc was really tight, even with the caliper all the way open. In hindsight, I should have loosened the cable.

Anyway, I started and I just couldn't get my speed up over about 25mph. After a while, I was having trouble going faster than 23mph. My HR looked fine, but it was a flat course, and normally I'd be cruising between 28-30mph. I came to the sad realization the the brake was rubbing. It turns out, my disc has a little play in the bearings, and my breaks rubbed every pedal stroke. No excuse, I should have noticed it during my warmup.

Jordan started 2.5 minutes behind me, and I was averaging about 22mph by the turn around. Sure enough, by that time, he had closed to within less than a minute. At that point, I had lost my mental focus, and figured all I was good for now was as a rabbit for Jordan to chase down. He caught me about half way back to the finish, and then pulled another 30 seconds out of me to boot!

He rode Donimator's Zipp 999's, and needless to say, he wants a pair now. Whoops.

No comments: