Sunday, October 26, 2008

Smithers Down

Smithers kindly offered up the La Speciale Category for the back end of the Green Acres M35+ 1/2/3 Race. The friendly gesture drew a few into the field who might otherwise passed, especially given the cold, windy, and muddy conditions.

Sadly, on the 4th lap, Smithers crashed hard about 50ft shy of the double barriers at the bottom of a fast hill. He was pulling away from me at the time, so I wasn't in position to witness how it happened. Based on his position relative to his bike, it looks like he went somehow over the bars, or slid out very hard.

I rolled up to him, and he was laying in the fetal position, and unresponsive. I stopped, and checked his condition. His eyes were open, but glazed over. He didn't respond to any of my questions. After about 30 seconds, he rolled onto his back and muttered something like "What the?". After a minute or two, he was able to sit up by himself, just as more help arrived. I decided I had done what I could, and rejoined the race.

Both Ped and Scotty Rob stopped racing to tend to Smithers, and help go with him to the hospital. What great friends.

At the time of his crash, Smithers was leading the La Speciale category. Get well soon bud.

3 comments:

Christopher Smith said...

thanks for taking care of me until reinforcements arrived. I sincerely appreciate it!

StevenCX said...

One crash, one mechanical - I say we have a "special" rematch!

Christopher Smith said...

Rematch scheduled for this Saturday.

Be there!