Sunday, June 15, 2008

Dad's Day in Stillwater

Coming into the "Corner"

Jordan and I rode up to Stillwater this morning, and met the girls there. What a perfect day. A pro bike race nearby home, nice weather, and Father's day to boot. I had decided to do the amateur Cat 2/3 race. I had never raced the course before, so I figured it was about time.

About 50 of us lined up, but we had to sit around forever waiting for them to clear the course. If there is any course where you need a warm-up, this is it. Oh well. I started on the front line, and by the top of the hill, I was just about the last rider. I sat at the back on the first lap, and then went though a few riders the 2nd time up the climb. I was definitely slow up the climb, but recovered quickly over the top, and was able to move through riders on the top side.

A few laps in, I was on the front down the hill, and carried WAY to much speed into the final corner. I used the curb to stay upright, did a tightrope walk along the barriers, and sprinted out clean. It was so close, but it happened so fast, I just kept going like it was no big deal. Others were not as fortunate as I was. Goblirsh went down late in the race in the same corner, and Charlie Jacobs and Jim Parker crashed there in the final lap. Goblirsh appeared to be OK, but Jacobs and Parker both got an ambulance ride. What a bummer.

I had a good last few laps, and ended up finishing 24th. Not impressive, but it was strangely fun. P-slim rocked, and finished a close 2nd. He lead into the final climb in his big ring, but then bogged down, and Dave passed him halfway up. Way to go Patrick!

Watching both pro races was awesome. They didn't seem to have any trouble with the corner. I guess that's why they're pros. It was the perfect Father's Day. Thanks Carla, Maren, and Jordan.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

did anyone bring up rule 10;10
fer the flanders rider which
sent the two to the hospital?

that guy is an idiot!