Sunday, June 29, 2008

Triple Teamed at the Grandstay Crit


Very fun racing at the St. Cloud Crit. Only 18 of us in the Masters 35+ Open, but all fast guys. I was sans teammates, so I spent all of the race guarding the front, and covering attacks. John Bagley was back in the field, and attacked constantly. My tactic worked for about 40 of the 50 minutes.

Ray Coyle and Pete Maxwell got a gap late in the race, and Muyres went for the bridge. I worked to close them down for a couple laps, and got what I thought was close enough, and sat up. Unfortunately, with GrandStay, GSCA, and Silver represented up front, there were few left to chase, and none took the opportunity (in particular GP?).

We shut down, and let the front 3 ride away. Very sad. I set up for the field sprint, but got swarmed on the backside in the final lap. I ended up 5th in the field sprint, 8th overall.

Pete Maxwell jumped the front 2 on the last lap, and soloed in for the win. Coyle was 2nd, then Muyres. Woller took the field sprint. Nice rides boys.

I asked Jordan what he thought about my race. He said he wasn't looking for me during the race, but Pete Maxwell instead. He said he wanted Pete to win, and sure enough he did. I guess it pays to make friends with Jordan.

Jordan decided to ride hard tempo in his race, and tow all the juniors around until the final lap where they all jumped him and left him for dead. He still won the younger juniors, since all that were left in the end were older juniors.


3 comments:

3C / Bicycle Haüs Racing said...

Of course don't forget that the field sprint was won by the other guy without any teammates. Good to see Bicycle Haüs Racing representing in MN.

JimmerC said...

Yep. Woller and I talked about how we could have worked together better. I was happy to see he won the sprint, but I would have been happier had he made the break.

OTR said...

Do I need to come up there and help you out Jimmer?