Saturday, April 25, 2009

Ken Woods Road Race Cat 1/2 Recap

Flanders had 6 guys tow the line in the Cat 1/2's. Scott Flanders, Adam Froemming, Erik Dahl, Dave Zimmerman, Mike Woell, and myself. There must have been around 40 starters.

After an easy roll-out, I jumped from the first corner on the tailwind section. No one followed, so I stayed with the effort. I rode hard, but didn't bury myself, so if a small group came across to me, I'd be ready to work. No such luck, and I was back in the group just before the climb.

Both Froemming and Dahl had solo attacks that stuck for a while, but GrandStay was very vigilant at the front. Jerry Finken and Derrick Lewis started lap 3 with a gap, but GrandStay and Flanders rode tempo on the front, and slowly brought them back.

The 3rd time up the hill was hard, thanks to Jens Brabbit. I popped a little, recovered, and gave chase. I ended up in a chase group of 4. For about 10 miles, we were close, but couldn't close it. Turns out Dan Casper had attacked solo, and later Doug Swanson and Mike Woell bridged up to Dan.

Once the field sat up, we finally rejoined the field at corner 3. The racing was pretty subdued from there on, until we hit the climb to the finish, where it blew apart. Woell ended up 2nd, and Zim won the field sprint. Scott finished close to the front too. Well done boys.

The Flanders team has made my return to the Cat 1/2's very enjoyable. They are a great group of people, and ride well as a team.

Doug Swanson - 1st, Mike Woell - 2nd (photo courtesy of Valkyrie)

Dave Zimmerman wins the field sprint for 4th (Photo courtesy of Valkyrie)

Scotter is back (Photo courtesy of Valkyrie)

Jimmer and Dave Hackworthy (Photo courtesy of Valkyrie)

No comments: