Monday, April 30, 2007

How much homework is too much?


My daughter Maren is in 8th grade, and has been getting swamped with homework lately. She worked on her homework all day Saturday, then Sunday afternoon into the evening. She didn't finish last night until 11:30PM! Tonight, she had a track meet, and got home around 7PM. She spent 2 hours on homework, and still couldn't finish. Now she's going to have to skip her track meet tomorrow (What's with 2 track meets in 2 days anyhow?).

She doesn't procrastinate at all, and is a very good student. I guess it's Hudson's way of prepping her for high school next year. I feel pretty bad for her, but I am proud of her perseverance.

I was a good student, and studied hard, but I don't ever remember it being this bad. At least not in 8th grade.

4 comments:

AdamB said...

for what it's worth, i often wish i'd had more homework when i was younger.

Donimator said...

Adam,

Whatever you smoked for breakfast today....can I have some.

Dan Cleary said...

Jimmer C. I say the same thing for my kid and she is only in 1st grade. I simple don't recall ever having much if any homework and now my daughter is swamped and little play time. WTF?

Anonymous said...

This is from a teacher...

It has completely gone off the deep end. We complain that kids are getting out of shape and then we won't let them play outside. There has been extensive research that all that homework doesn't even add up to real learning. What should the homework be? Read and run or ride. Turn off the TV and the rest takes care of itself. You want to see the best students in school look for the kid that carries the latest book they are reading around with them.

Some where out there Alphie Cohen has written an article about the ills of all of this homework and how it screws kids up. I will try to find it for you.