Thursday, April 17, 2008

I swear, I didn't plan it this way.


Maren had a track meet Thursday down in Red Wing, so I immediately came up with the idea of Jordan and I riding the 40mi down to watch. Then we would catch a ride back with Carla. It wasn't raining at the start, but we knew we were going to get wet. We could see the dark clouds to the south. Anyone who knows me, knows my adage of "I'll train in the rain, as long as it's not raining at the start."

The ride was fast, with primarily a tailwind from the NE. It didn't start raining until we were about halfway down, and it was pretty light. As we flew down my favorite road (Cty O), it just kept coming down harder and harder, and kept getting colder and colder. We both just had 2 long sleeve layers on top, full finger gloves, bib shorts w/bare legs, and no booties. Our legs were the first to go numb to the cold. Leg warmers wouldn't have mattered, because eventually, with the temperature dropping into the low 40's, and us soaked to the bone, everything started to get cold.

We had our tail lights ablaze, but we still had to cross into Red Wing from Hagar City on the minimum shoulder road. Jordan led the way, and I ate his spray into MN. Thankfully, very little traffic headed into MN made it uneventful. We then headed up the hill to Red Wing High, only to see Carla driving the other way. Turns out hail forced them to cancel the track meet after the first couple events. What a bummer. I was so looking forward to seeing Maren run outdoors. They've cancelled 3 of the last 4 outdoor meets due to weather.

We jumped in the truck, changed into dry clothes, and went to "The Bluffs" bar and grill in Hagar City for dinner. Jordan and I sat there and shivered while Carla just kept laughing at how stupid we (mainly me) were. At least we got in our ride tonight.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The addict thing isn't sarcastic anymore, and now there's two of you.

JimmerC said...

I'll go ahead and remove the explanation point from my blog title, so it comes across as a statement.

Anonymous said...

So, when you wear your leg warmers do you feel like Jennifer Beals in "Flashdance?"
SJN

Jake said...

Next time you ride through Red Wing, you should ride up the climb to memorial park. It's a good climb, and depending on the day there isn't a lot of traffic. There are a couple of switchbacks, and there are only so many places in MN that you have those.