Saturday, April 26, 2008

Kent Throlson Saves Me at Ken Woods

Photo courtesy of SkinnySki.com

Here is a blow-by-blow my experience in the Masters 35+ Ken Woods Road Race:

Conditions: Mid 30's, light snow, winds WNW 20-35mph!
We (Masters 35+ open combined with Masters 35+ 3/4's) start 5 mins behind the combined Cat 1/2/3's.
I got in a 2-man break with Gordy Paulson right after the first turn.
Gordy rode strong, I mostly followed, and helped when he needed rest(very little).
We had a 1min16sec lead after 1 lap over a chase group of 7.
Just after turn 1, my rear tubular goes flat (compliments of a small sharp rock).
Gordy bridges the last few meters up to a small chase group in front of us from the Cat 1/2/3 race.
Gordy asks if anyone can give me a rear wheel.
My incredibly selfless and generous teammate, Kent Throlson, immediately pulls over and gives me his wheel.
I can't catch back up to Gordy.
A chase group of 4 catches me (Hanna, Goblirsh, Coyle, and Parker).
We share the work equally and make almost no progress on Gordy.
Parker attacks approaching the finish hill, but is brought back.
Coyle attacks at the base of the finish hill and gets a gap.
Goblirsh and Parker chase with Hanna and me in tow.
I pop just over the top of the hill.
Hanna pops a little later.
Coyle holds off Goblirsh and Parker, who finish 2,3,4.
Hanna gives up the ghost, and waves me by for 5th.
Gordy won with a comfortable 43 seconds on Coyle.

Getting a flat is such a bummer, but thank God for Kent letting me salvage my race. Its been a long time since I've ridden in a 2-man break, and the wind made it even tougher. My HR was 20bpm's higher following Gordy, as opposed to our later 5 man rotation.

Congrats to Gordy on an impressive win in the hardest manner possible, on probably the windiest race I've ever done. Kudos to Ray Coyle for his successful attack to finish 2nd. Finally, a shout out to my uber strong teammate Goblirsh who finished a strong 3rd.

1 comment:

Dan Cleary said...

You did awesome Jimmer. Couldn't believe how you could stay out there for that long.

Wish I could have made stayed with Goblirsch and worked with you guys to the finish. Maybe another time when I gain a bit more fitness.

And Jordan, as usual, great job kid