Sunday, June 28, 2009

A Win Feels Good - State Champion or NOT


I won my first crit in 8 years, and my first race of 2009, on Sunday at the MN State Criterium Championships in St. Cloud, MN. In fact, I'd be the 2009 MN State Masters 35+ Criterium Champion if I didn't live in Wisconsin. I knew it going in, so the victory is just as sweet.

Instead, the State Championship went to my breakaway partner, James Tainter (Silver Cycling). The two of us got away 5 laps into the race, when I countered an attack by Jay "Hollywood" Henderson. I didn't expect it to stick, but the strong wind was a factor. Our gap was small at first, but we kept our heads down, and slowly pulled away. At one point, it looked like we were going to lap the field, but it was not to be. Tainter is a National Champion on the track, and made for excellent company. Congratulations James.


Coincidentally, Scott Flanders managed to get in a 2-man breakaway with Silver Cyclist, Dave Pramann in the Masters 50+. Scott won the race, and took home his 1600th MN State Championship (embellishment).


The Ladies of Flanders dominated the Women's race, sweeping the podium (Moriarty 1st, Sone 2nd, Morse 3rd). Congrats, you gals earned it.


Jordan was also NOT MN State Champion, finishing 3rd overall in the Juniors, 1st 10-14. Alex Meyer attacked off the line, and only Colton Barrett and Jordan were able to reel him in. Everyone else in the race got lapped at least once by the leading trio. Colton took home the Junior State Championship, with Alex Meyer 2nd, Jordan 3rd. Nils Boberg was the official MN Juniors 10-14 State Criterium Champion. Congrats guys.

Jordan also did the Cat 3/4 race, and finished a respectable 9th.

Happy the race is over.

No comments: