Monday, September 18, 2006

Battling the Fall Demons


They always come out in the Fall. This year is no exception. Got home from work tonight, and had an open window to go for a ride. Right away, the inner demons start their demotivational banter. "It's cold." "It looks like rain." "You rode yesterday." "You can ride tomorrow." Daylight is going away so fast this time of year, and I know I need to keep riding. I need to stay in shape for cyclocross, and keep the weight down this winter so I can ride domestique for a certain Loon teammate next year.

I reluctantly ignore the demons and decide to ride. The first bad sign was under-dressing. I had to go back in and add a layer on the top and bottom. Finally, I get going, with the intention of doing my normal 30 mile loop. Did I mention the wind? It's a strong one out of the West, which for me is the worst (crosswind, since I ride primarily North/South routes). About 5 miles in, the drizzle starts. Nothing hard, but enough to get me wet. But now I'm committed. I decide to alter the route by adding on a few miles (Demons be damned!). Now I'm going to be battling with daylight too!

The rain was spotty, and my roads were quiet as usual. I actually enjoyed the ride, and got some thinking done. Got home by dusk. I guess I need to start riding with lights soon. Do I look satisfied in the picture?

4 comments:

Homme said...

so I can ride domestique for a certain Loon teammate next year.
I'm honored that you want to ride for me next year Jim, but I'm not riding for loon again.

JimmerC said...

Dang. You're 30 year old legs don't have any snap left anyway.

Skibby said...

I don't know about satisfied, I think you look possessed!

Anonymous said...

Struggling to look satisfied maybe.