Sunday, September 10, 2006

WISPORT Finale - Cleghorn RR Recap

Cleghorn is a new race on the WISPORT calendar this year. The cold, wet weather kept many away, only 72 starters. It was only 50deg at the start, and drizzling. The race was to be 2 laps of a 22 mile hilly course on the quiet country roads south of Eau Claire, WI.

It stopped raining after about the first 5 miles. Jordan was feeling the TT from yesterday, and started struggling about half way through the first lap. I knew it was going to be a long day for him, especially with the opportunity to quit after 1 lap. He toughed it out and continued on through the start/finish for the 2nd lap. Then I asked "Are you going to be OK?". He responded with an emphatic "No!". Yikes. I had him slow and drink a whole bottle of gatorade. That helped, but he was definitely suffering the rest of the race. He finished the 44 miles in just under 2.5 hours, for an average speed of 17.9mph. What tenacity! There was only 1 other Junior < 14 racing, and he quit after the 1st lap, so Jordan took 1st in his age class. Click here for the results.

At the front of the race, Mark Brone won in a photo finish against his breakaway partner Lance Niles. Nice race guys.

Today's first place moves Jordan into 1st place for the overall WISPORT road race series for Juniors < 14. He also won the WISPORT TT series for Juniors < 14. Last, but not least, he and I won the WISPORT Tandem TT series. He's had a lot of fun racing, and I sure am proud of him.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try to add a few more race day's next year.

JimmerC said...

I don't know what I'm going to do with all my free time this fall? Cross?

Skibby said...

I don't have any idea how your wife could think you're a cycling addict... ;)

btw: I bet Jordan could beat both Painman and myself in a road race right now...