Saturday, September 30, 2006

Doing things I haven't done in a while.


Had an awesome time at the Hudson Cyclocross today. It was only my 2nd cyclocross race, my first one since 1999. Jordan had fun in the C race. He didn't seem too excited at first, but he ended up loving it. I joined "inPainman", Skibby, and Goblirsh in the "A" race, all of us racing the 35+ category. inPainman and I decided to start easy, and ramp it up slowly. I was dead last over the first barriers, that is until the guy in front of fell into them. I knew these races are usually attrition, and it did not dissappoint. After a couple laps, the pecking order set in, and there I was, all alone. I got lapped by Aric and Bjorn 2 times, and once by several other riders. It didn't bother me, because I rode hard, and had fun. inPainman and Skibby felt the pain just like me. Goblirsh had an awesome race and finished near the front.

Skibby claimed his coveted last place, if you don't count the people that bagged on the race. I'm personally proud of my teammate. My opinion on this is, you are not last if people quit, unless they quit because of a mechanical or injury. I don't think quitting because you aren't doing well is a good excuse. Be tenacious and mentally tough, always finish if you can. Greg Lemond gained a lot of respect from the public when he finished the 1991 tour, even though he wasn't going to be on the podium.

After the races, I talked inPainman, Skibby and his girlfriend, and Linda into joining us for a boat ride on the river. We had a great time. inPainman even drove while I waterskiied, and then wakeboarded. The water wasn't even that cold.

2 comments:

Skibby said...

Thanks for the boat ride Jimmer, you've got some mad boogie board skillzzzz....

JimmerC said...

No problem Skibby. Glad you guys joined us. Enjoy the marathon.