Friday, October 06, 2006

The Loop - Solo

Treb bailed on me last night, so I rode the loop solo. Perfect weather and hardly any wind. The colors in the river valley are pretty amazing right now.

Had to ride the last hour or so in the dark, with a headlight and tail lights. I do a fair amount of riding in the dark each year, but usually not solo. The roads I ride on are very quiet anyway, but some people say it's too dangerous to ride at night. I can tell you that people give you a lot more room at night. I don't recall ever being buzzed by a car at night, where I occasionally get buzzed on the same route during daylight.

Treb and I have had the occasionaly comment thrown our way on night rides. Our favorite comment was "You guys look like a couple of aliens!". Then there was the time Treb and I were doing the loop, and had stopped in Prescott to refuel. It was already very dark. This drunk guy asks where we were headed. We told him Hudson, to which he replied "Oh, I used to ride from here to Hudson all the time, but that was back you guys weren't even born yet." This guy was probably in his 40's. He must have thought we were a couple of 20-somethings. Then to top it off, we depart Prescott headed south (because to go north, you have to ride on the highway). The guy got this confused look on his face as to say, "Dudes, Hudson's the other way."

No comments: