Saturday, November 11, 2006

State Cyclocross


Bike compliments of Painman. Photo compliments of skinny ski.

Had a great time today at the State Cyclocross Champs, at Bassett Creek Park in Crystal. I actually ran cross-country running meets there in high school. Looks about the same as it did 22 years ago.

Jordan did the C race, and had a great time lugging his MTB up the stairs. Not sure where he ended up, 3rd or 4th in the younger juniors? My folks came out to watch his race, and loved that style of racing. My cousin came to watch my race too. I rarely get family outside of my wife and kids to watch me race, so it was a treat.

Painman was kind enough to loan me his beautiful new Redline. All I did was swap the pedals, and raise the seat a couple inches, and it actually fit pretty well. We had 55 guys in the A race, which was way more than the previous races I did this year. My old buddy Darrin Homme was there, and even Timmer made an appearance.

I tried to start closer to the front, rather than at the back like previous races. Unfortunately, I got pushed into the soft shoulder of the dirt road, and dropped back about 20 spots. I settled into a group with Timmer, Red Lantern, Chris Doig, and a couple other guys. What a difference the bike makes compared to the MTB. I wasn't able to stay with front groups, but the bike rolled so much easier.

The course was a tough one, but it was fun. There were some fast sections, which I could really get rolling on, but the finish climb (which could be ridden), the long stair run-up, and the dip into the creekbed wore me down. I'm definitely a rider, not a runner, just too darn heavy. I don't think I would have finished if I had to carry the MTB like I did the Redline. Each time up the stairs, I got a little slower. The cheering was incredible. Lots of teammates and others cheering my name each time up the hills. It really made the race a painful pleasure. I kept hearing Kullman, Ohotto, Wataja, and Kuster, each time around. Thanks guys.

About mid-way through the race, I slid out in the corner headed into the woods, and never quite recovered. I wasn't hurt, but the shifting of the bike didn't work very well for a couple laps. I actually stopped at one point to check it. Lost quite a few spots, and then the leaders started lapping me. I always try to stay out of the way, so I stopped pushing hard. Painman's feeds were welcomed (added thanks).

Well, that's the end of the racing season. This was my 45th race this season. It was Jordan's 28th. What a great year. Looking forward to 2007.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yea, that was kinda epic..

timmer

JimmerC said...

I forgot about the dollar primes at the top of the stairs. Sad to say I was to friggin wasted to grab it.