Saturday, June 23, 2007

Jordan's Longest Ride


Perfect weather for a ride Saturday. Jordan and I headed for my brother's birthday party in Maple Grove. Jordan's longest ride up to this point, was a ride from my brother's to Hudson. I knew we could simply meander a bit, and improve on the old mark of 63 miles.

Right off the bat, I get a complete front tire blowout, right in downtown Hudson. The bead must not have been seated correctly, because one side slipped out, causing the tire to blow like a gunshot. I fixed it quickly, and we were on our way.

I decided to head for Newport to get our extra mileage. I stumbled upon the bike trail along the east side of 61. I didn't even know about it. It made for a nice safe comfortable route up to Werner/Shepard Road. On to East River Road all the way to the UofMN. A quick stop downtown to refuel, and then to the Cedar Lake Commuter Trail. Construction near the new Twins Stadium Site resulted in a clumsy detour, but we made it. We saw Mean Dawg headed the opposite direction.

Through St. Louis Park, Minnetonka, Wayzata, Plymouth, and finally Maple Grove. On West Fish Lake Road, someone in a Jeep Cherokee honked and waved like they knew us, but I didn't know who it was. Maybe they thought we were someone else. 66 miles in the end. Point to Point rides are always a treat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim,
I have some pretty fond memories of hitting tennis balls ad nauseum with my dad when I was Jordan's age. The memories you are creating with him wont ever be lost. And at risk of sounding like a Hallmark card I will stop here:) see you soon!
Julia

JimmerC said...

Thanks Julia. I'm definitely enjoying our time together.