Saturday, June 30, 2007

Hey, I can still run, but at what cost


I did my first running race since college today. Grandpa's Run for the Walleye 5K in Crosslake, MN. Actually, our whole family did it, including Carla, Jordan, Maren, and my brother's family too. Mike Waataja was up at his lake place, and joined us too. Carla and Maren have been training the past few weeks leading up to the race. I ran once, 3mi on Father's Day, with Maren and Jordan, and I couldn't keep up with them. My expectations were very low.

A huge highlight was watching my 2 nieces, ages 2 and 5, run the kids fun race. They had a blast.

I figured Maren and Jordan would wax my butt, but when I pin on a number, I just gotta go. I ran way too hard, and knew I was going to pay for it big time afterwards. Nonetheless, I ended up 1st in the Masters, and 9th overall in 20:48. Waataja kicked my butt, as expected, and finished 5th in 19 minutes and change. Nice job. Jordan finished in 22:28, and Maren in 25:20. My bro did it in 30:28, Carla in 37:25, and my sister-in-law finished in around 47 minutes. What a fun day. Carla's average HR was 171, with a max 184. Wow! I'm proud of how hard she, and everyone else pushed themselves.

For 1st place, I won 2 rounds of 18 holes at the local golf course. We also scored some shwag in the raffle afterwards. After everything was done and we headed back to the cabin, it was still only 10:30AM.

Jordan, Waataja, and I are headed out for a ride after lunch. We're definitely loving life up at the lake.

1 comment:

B Train said...

Hey man, nice shirt!