Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Northfield Crit Recap


Jordan won the Juniors Under 15 at Northfield today. Only 4 kids showed up, and he lapped 2 of them. Carla, Maren, his Grandmother and Aunt were there to see him race. That makes him 7 for 7 in ROY events this year, sealing his 1st place in the Juniors Under 15 ROY Category. Congrats buddy.

Northfield is always a great venue for a race. It is great for racers and spectators alike. My family had a great time watching the race. People kept coming up to us and asking questions about the race, and how it worked. I love to talk about my favorite subject. A lady with some kids from a group home came over and introduced herself to us. One of the kids, named Steve, was blind, and wanted to meet me and Jordan. I told him about tandem racing with blind stokers, and he was fascinated.



My goal was to finish the race, without crashing, with t-minus 1 week till we leave for France. I did just that. I rode the front for the first 15 minutes or so, until the field sorted itself out a bit. Then I went to the back, and spent the rest of the race following Scott Flanders around. Scott had already won the Masters 50+ race, right before ours. I knew he was a nice safe wheel to follow, and the whip effect on the Northfield course is minimal. I planned to move up through the field when Scott moved up for the finish, but I didn't quite commit all the way. I rolled across in 14th.

Charlie Jacobs got away with John Redmond with a few laps to go, and Charlie won. Nice job fellas. Pmax had a small gap on the last lap, and just held off the field. I didn't even know anyone had gotten away, and frankly, I didn't really care. I just wanted a safe race. Having those 2 up the road kept the swarming in the final laps to a minimum, so that was nice. You can see the Masters 35+ results in the photo below:

No comments: