Sunday, July 08, 2007

Successful Wisport Weekend


Jordan and I did the Greenwood Dairy Days Road Race on Saturday, followed by the Stanley Time Trial on Sunday.



I forgot how tough these short Wisport Road Races are. I was all by myself against a couple tough teams: Brone's Bike Shop & Eau Claire Bike & Sport. GP also had Mairs, Piche, and Bernet. Brone's kept sending guys off, and forced the rest of us to chase. I bridged a couple times, only to be brought back. Nothing stuck. With about 15 miles to go, I countered as we caught a small group off the front, and got a good gap. No one came with me, so I rode hard, but not 100%, knowing I wouldn't hold them off solo, and hoping someone would bridge up. No dice.

After they caught me, I sat in and recovered, and didn't feel real good. I had gone through all my Gel, and both water bottles. Man, was it hot. The finish was a 1K long flat fast straight with a tailwind. I knew people would go too early, so I went into the final corner with about a dozen riders in front of me. The sprint was completely disorganized, and I came up the left side. With about 400 meters to go, I saw someone coming up the right side, and I gunned it. As I approached the finish, I looked back to see I had a gap, and threw my arms up as I crossed the line in victory. I don't know what came over me. I think it's kind of cocky and lame when people do that, but it happened nonetheless. I think I've done it maybe one other time.

Jordan won the juniors under 14 against 3 others. He didn't drink enough, and bonked pretty good. I had a heck of a time getting him to drink and eat post race.

Greenwood Dairy Days Results



Another hot day greeted us at Stanley. There was a saving grace in the form of a west wind. I had tough competition in Lance Niles, Mark Brone, and Brian Abery, among others. Lately Abery's had my number, so I was hoping I could pop a good one.

No such luck. I ended up 5th, just 2 seconds behind Suntken and Abery. The result was satisfying, being that I was that close to Abery.

There were 6 juniors under 14. What a turnout. Jordan had an unbelievable race. He won by 5 minutes over Will Metza, son of powerhouse Dave Metza. He improved his time from last year by over 15 minutes. He improved from 55:44 last year, to 40:34 this year.



You can view the overall results below:

Posted Results @ CVCC


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic, Jim! If you attacked several times and still took the sprint by that much, I think you're ready for France:). Send our congrats to Jordan as well!

Unknown said...

Hey, nice job you two! France won't even see you coming, Jimmer. Have a great time out there, and keep us updated if you can.

As for your arms-up celebration, I'm guilty of the like, and I'm a lowly cat 3! I figure you never know when another one will come... you're not throwing a pacifier in your mouth or 'rocking the baby' or anything.

Great work guys.