Saturday, August 25, 2007

Masters 35+ MN State Road Race Recap



Photos compliments of skinnyski.com.

Neutral Rollout:


The climb on the backside of the course:


Leading the skinny guys down the hill:


Nice weather, finally. We had Painman, Goblirsh, Rennert and myself to contest the masters 35+. Flanders had a full compliment of riders, Maxwell was there of course, but the most notable entrants were Mike Johnson and his CVCC squad of 4, including Joas and Tischler. Shishilla even showed up in a Medtronic jersey, the first road race I've ever seen him at. We were set for 4 laps.

The first lap was pretty easy. I attacked on a couple of the rises, and even got a little gap prior to the second big hill, but I knew I wasn't going anywhere by myself. The second time up the hill was the killer. Johnson attacked midway up the climb with a vengeance, and put the whole field into oxygen debt. Painman was able to join him. For some reason, I suffered big time on the climb, maybe too much work during the first lap? Just like at Square Lake, I got dropped going over the top. I chased hard, but they were chasing Johnson and Painman, and pulling away.

I thought my race was over, especially after the follow vehicle and wheel car went around me. Then I saw Mlinar in the ditch. He had touched a wheel and gone down. I looked up the road, and the group was a good 15-20 seconds ahead. I continued to bury myself, and finally caught them in Albany. Whew. That was close.

Shortly after Albany, Johnson and Painman were caught. After that, I sat in for the rest of the lap, marking Johnson's wheel. Coming into the finish leg, Johnson amped it up, and asked me to come through. Sorry, no can do. He sat up, and Mike Dietzman of Flanders went up the road. Hiebert chased, but didn't make it. Then an unknown CVCC rider was able to bridge up. The 2 of them dangled off the front for the 3rd, and most of the 4th lap. Painman and others kept them close, but know one was interested in shutting them down. I just sat in the back with Johnson, and waited for the sprint. At some point, Goblirsh got a flat, and the wheel car was way behind, and by the time he changed it out, there was no way for him to catch back up.

Coming into the last couple hills, Hollywood bridged across to Dietzman (the CVCC rider got dropped), and they started to pull away. On the final climb, Hollywood set tempo, but Dietzman couldn't match it, and the field reeled them both in by the top. I took over at the front at that point, to mark moves. My plan was to lead out the sprint, and try to setup Painman and Rennert. I knew Johnson and Joas would be the ones to beat. Unfortunately for Hollywood, his pedal came loose, and the wheel car didn't stop when he tried to wave them down. Bummer.

Charlie Jacobs attacked turning into the final stretch, and I covered him. Then another rider attacked, and Rennert joined him. I sat up and let the gap go, and no one came around me. They got a little ahead of us, and then Coyle jumped, and I covered. We all came back together, and I took 2nd wheel behind Tischler, knowing he'd be riding for Johnson. I jumped at the "reduced speed ahead" sign, just before the finish line came into sight. I figured I might catch a few guys out who hadn't measured the finish very well. I peeled off the front with about 200meters to go. Like I expected, Johnson had my wheel, then Joas, then Painman and Rennert. Rennert looked good, but Painman was sprinting in the saddle, so I knew he was probably out of it. Johnson probably could have won it, but he let Joas by, with Rennert finishing a strong 3rd. Painman rolled in 8th. I think I was about 20th.

Unofficial Results:
1. Joas
2. Johnson (Wisconsin)
3. Rennert
4. MacGibbon
5. Dobbertin

I was very happy with the result. Rennert has been getting very fast lately, and for him finish a field sprint that well was impressive, and unexpected. Painman suffered from the effects of his "eight" times being off the front. It was as aggressive as I had ever seen him, and I witnessed him off the front at least 4 times. I'll have to trust him on the other 4. Nice job LSC.

Click here for Official Results

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another fanstatic race report, Jimmer! Congrats to Paul, Chad, and yourself for another great race.

OTR said...

Great job Jimmer, Paul and Painman. The team had a lot of great results with Loecken riding away with a Championship. I can't wait til spring camp!

Anonymous said...

Nice to re-race the event from a different perspective
AD

Anonymous said...

Another road season wraped up.

JimmerC said...

Can you say WISPORT?

Anonymous said...

It's been a pleasure racing with the Loonies this year.

Jimmer, great blog - you are a true sportsman and a gentleman, an inspiration and a role model not only for the Juniors but also for us older guys.

I've never heard you say anything negative, seen you cross the center line (no matter how stiff the cross wind) or watched you throw a wrapper or bottle into the field.

You not only won ROY in M35+ but also Mr. Congeniality - you're a true Ambassador for the Sport of Cycling.

Chapeau!

JimmerC said...

Thanks for the gracious compliments Paul. You've been an incredible addition to LSC this season. I look forward to next season.