Sunday, August 26, 2007

State Track Timed Events

Click here for official results.

We weren't going to be able to do the district track events, due to a conflict with the WISPORT races last weekend. As luck would have it, the rain postponed the events to today. It was Jordan's first official race at the track. He raced as a Cat 5, and did the Kilo plus the 4K.

Kilo - 1:33 (6 seconds slower than 15 year old Raymond Warns-Ledesma)
4K - 6:20 (3 seconds slower than Raymond)

Very nice results Jordo, and excellent benchmarks for the future. Carla and Maren were even there to witness the historic event. Thanks for the cheers girls.


I am a cat 2 on the track, and did the Kilo, 4K, and the team pursuit. I used my road bike for the Kilo and 4K, but I had to ride a track bike in the pursuit for safety reasons (since track bikes don't have brakes, and road bikes do). Skibby kindly offered to lend me his after he was done with his team pursuit (Thanks buddy).

I started both the Kilo and 4K in a 53x17, and dropped it down to the 53x15 once I was up to speed. As expected, I rode another unspectacular 1:16 in the kilo, which was 6th out of 8 Cat 2's. Hollywood was pretty proud to beat me by 1 second, posting a 1:15. I bow to your short distance superiority.

I drew Sickboy as my pursuit rival. I rode the same gears as in the kilo, and posted a 5:11, which I was happy with given the strong south wind. My best is a 5:08 at districts last year. Sickboy kept it close, and set a PR of 5:13. Timmer broke the magical 5 minute barrier, posting a new PR of 4:59. Way to go Timmer. Here were the top 5 4K times independent of category:

1. Timmer - 4:59
2. Joe Johnson - 5:05
3. Brian Crosby - 5:07
4. Jim Cullen - 5:11
5. Dan Currell - 5:12



I didn't get a chance to ride the track at all on Skibby's bike prior to our team pursuit. Obviously, we also didn't get a chance to practice either. I simply put my pedals on Skibby's bike, raised the seat, and reported to the start line. We chose the order of Timmer, Currell, me, then Crosby. This was so that Timmer was pulling through on our second strongest rider, Crosby. We rode fairly tight and pretty smooth. We clocked a 4:56, beating Timmer's solo time, which indicates we did pretty well as a team. Not bad for no practice, and me on a borrowed bike. I hadn't ridden a fixed gear since 2001. It felt pretty good, but you still won't see me up there on Thursday nights. I promised Carla, and I'm sticking to it.
Click the picture below for a larger image:
(R-L: Timmer, Currell, Jimmer, Crosby)


Cat 1/2 4K Podium:
1. Brian Crosby - 5:07
2. Jim Cullen - 5:11
3. Dan Currell - 5:12


Team Pursuit Podium:
1st (Cullen, Currell, Crosby, Mulrooney) - 4:56
2nd (Kruise, Register, Coughlin, Skibby) - 5:07 (Jordan stood in for Skibby)



The quote of the day from Hollywood, "Track guys covet their medals even more than special Olympians." Not exactly PC, but probably accurate.

Another result worth noting was Hans, Franz, and Currell riding the Team Pursuit in an impressive time of 49.6. A new district record. Nice job guys.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

H wood mesed up the line - it goes the only people who drool over their medals more than special olympians are (insert cat).

Still not pc

Nice riding for a giant.

JimmerC said...

I believe that is exactly what he said. I misquoted.

SickBoy said...

2.2 seconds seperated second through fourth in the IP. Nice job, jim.... skibby and I are going to keep planting the track bug in Jordan's head, though. :)

Anonymous said...

I love them silly thangs (medals) I got'em all over the place, but very few are uscf certified:(

I'm back ta me again:)