Saturday, August 11, 2007

A True Race of Attrition - Birchwood RR


Photo complements of Skinny Ski.

The combined the Cat 1/2 and Masters 35+ fields, due to low turnout. We had 11 Cat 1/2's, and around 20 Masters 35+. Thankfully, they only made us do 5 laps (scheduled for M35+) instead of the scheduled 6 for the Cat 1/2. Many of the Cat 1/2's were at the Tour of Elk Grove or Tour of KC.

There was a 4 mile neutral rollout to the start from registration. On top of that, the finish line is 6 miles from registration. This made logistics a bit of a problem for me with Jordan, since he was racing in the afternoon. Thankfully, Charlie Jacobs girlfriend Julie (now fiance) drove him over to the feed zone, and hung out with him until the race was over, and then shuttled him back to registration. Huge Thanks.

During the neutral rollout, Andy Powell blew a tire. Hollywood asked if we could neutralize the first lap to see if he can catch back on, since his whole family is watching him race. We do so, but to no avail. Andy never made it back.

The first time up the Nason hill was tough, but not too bad. A couple guys rolled off the front as we approached the finish line on the first lap, and I jumped to close it down. With a little help, we closed it down, but I knew there would be a counter in the feed zone. Sure enough. Thankfully, Painman made the move. About half a dozen guys slowly rolled away.

It was during this, that I had some issues. I was having regurge issues. This happened to me at the St. Cloud RR too. Not sure what the deal is. Eating too close to the beginning of the race?

The second time up Nason hill was like death for me. Timmer and company were determined to bridge across, and I was in the hurt locker. I fell off at the top of the climb, and couldn't make it back on the downhill. I haven't even finished 2 laps, and I'm dropped? Luckily, the group shattered, letting Timmer and a few others go, and slowed. This gave me just enough opportunity to bridge back up to the tail of the group.

Mike Johnson and Gerry Finken, missed the break, and were driving at the front for the entire 3rd lap. I sat in the back and continued to fight with my regurge. I didn't have too much problem with the 3rd time up the hill. In fact, that is when we started catching people who were popped from the breakaway. First Charlie Jacobs, then another, and another. Passing the finish line, Red Lantern informs us that Painman has lost contact with the break. So much for sitting in.

We caught up to Painman in the feedzone, and I went to the front and started working with Finken, Bell, and Johnson. It didn't matter, the break continued to pull away. The penultimate climb was pretty tame. We held back just a little, to make sure Johnson and Finken made it over since they had been working so hard. Then my teammate Rennert informs me Painman fell off. I sat on Bell's wheel, and didn't take a pull, until he made it back.

On the tailwind section, Bell and Finken got away. Johnson and company chased a bit, but the duo was just too strong. Painman came to the front for the rest of the last lap, and rode tempo into the final climb.

One of our goals going into the race was for Rennert to beat Cragle to secure his top 3 in the M35+ ROY. They were both at the front of our group headed into the final climb. The last time up the climb was pretty brutal. People cramping up left and right. I got caught back a bit, and came up on Cragle and said "Come on Doc, let's go." Nothing doing, the cramp was too much.

I bridged across the gap to Rennert and a small group of around 6 that were left at the front. We crested the climb, and I told Rennert that Cragle had popped. I went to the front and led down the hill to keep the pressure on, so no one could easily come back. It came down to about 6 of us sprinting it out. Hollywood jumped first, then Rennert, and the rest. I moved up from the back, and could see that Rennert looked to have it locked up. I pulled along side, and cheered him all the way to the finish. What a great result.

The final number in the break up the road was 7, with the duo in between us and them, meaning we were sprinting for 10th, last place in the money. Whoo-hoo!

Unofficial Results:
1. Zimmerman
2. Timmer
3. Woell
4. Snides
5. Maxwell (1st 35+)
6. Flanders
7. Mlinar (2nd 35+)
8. Bell (3rd 35+)
9. Finken
10. Rennert (4th 35+)
11. Cullen (5th 35+)
12. Schuller (6th 35+)

Official Results

Looks like Zim has come into some real form. Timmer has definitely earned the Mr. Consistency Award. The only guy out there always at the top of both the TT and Road Results.

Congrats to Pmax on the big 35+ win that has eluded him this season. Your own team race nonetheless. Way to go man. You get my nomination for most aggressive rider award for this season.

5 comments:

Dan Cleary said...

You guys were awesome.

JimmerC said...

Glad to see you back in the Game.

Anonymous said...

The pic of you coming out of the tunnel is my fav of the whole year! If anyone has this game "in his blood" that'd be you, Jimmer. Great seeing you today.

OTR said...

Great report Jim. Congrats to you and the boys, that was a sufferfest and we only went 42 mi.

Unknown said...

Hey, great to read of you fellas. Strong work out there on what sounds like a grueling day.