Monday, November 05, 2007

A bright spot in the CX scene - Mark Mlinar

Photo compliments of SkinnySki.com

I have to congratulate Mark Mlinar for being a stand-up guy, and recognize what a good sportsman, and person, he really is. Mark had a mechanical during the Ham Lake CX race this past Saturday, ran to the pit from one side to fix the problem, but then unintentionally re-entered the course on the opposite end of the pit. He finished the race, and then realized his mistake. He immediately went to the officials and told them he cut the course, and to take him out of the results.

Did you see the Kevin Spacey movie Kpax? There is a line in that movie that sticks in my head. Spacey talks about how there are no laws, police, or crime on the planet Kpax. Jeff Bridges asks him how people know the difference between right and wrong? Spacey replies "Even a child knows the difference between right and wrong."

My point here is lead on honest and proud life, and you'll be a happier, more well respected person. Don't let the possibility of getting caught "breaking the rules" be your deterrent. When I'm 80 years old, I would rather look back at my life, and be proud of my positive impact on my family and friends, then any accomplishments I may have achieved through dishonest means.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim, how does that apply to when you are driving your car?

JimmerC said...

Everyone knows I'm not perfect. It applies everywhere in life. It doesn't mean you won't make mistakes and bad decisions (me included). It means you should acknowledge and learn from your mistakes and try to change that behavior for the better in the future.

StevenCX said...

With all the cheating recently Mark is a breath of fresh air!

Unknown said...

wow.

i even helped mark in the wheel pit.

what a guy.