Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Calm and Dry = Fast Times at the Dog?

Jordan (Courtesy of Skinnyski.com)

Jimmer (Courtesy of Skinnyski.com)

Jimmer and Carla (Courtesy of Skinnyski.com)

About as perfect a HR profile as I could have (Avg Cadence = 92)

We're so used to TT'ing in the wind lately, you'd think a calm night at the Dog would result in some scorching times. Not really the case. The fact that it was a Nature Valley Grand Prix qualifier drew a lot of fast riders who don't frequent the Dog. I don't remember the last time there were 14 riders under 15 minutes.

That said, those that frequent the dog, generally felt it was not a fast night. Doug Swanson won the night in a rare sub-14 time of 13:58. Ian Stanford was 2nd, 20 seconds back, and Aric Hareland was 3rd, 33 seconds back.

I won the Masters 35+ in 14:55, nearly the identical time I rode Sunday in much windier conditions. The effort hurt way more than either of my previous 2 efforts, but the time didn't show it. Kind of the way it goes at the Dog.

Parker and Jacobs opted for the Open Category, seeking qualifier points for their teams. Parker tied me with a 14:55, and Jacobs was just 1 second back. It's amazing how close the 3 of us have been in all the TT's this spring.

Jordan improved his PR from this past Sunday by 1 second to 16:19. He seemed a little disappointed, but he'll learn that gains don't always come in leaps and bounds.

Carla and I rode the Tandem again, and rode a couple seconds slower than 2 weeks ago, posting a 16:24, putting us 2nd behind Townsend/Berde again. That means Jordan beat us, which was inevitable. It is way fun making the Dog a family event. Maren, you're next.





3 comments:

Unknown said...

Jim:
Tell Jordan I'm sorry that I wasn't a better rabbit for him...hit a pot hole and flatted at the power plant coming back. :(

JimmerC said...

That's what he said. That is always a bummer.

Lunatic Biker said...

Hit a pothole? I can't believe that...wink, wink. Black Dog Road is the place I ride my most expensive bike and the road is the worst one I ride on.