Thursday, May 14, 2009

2001 Elite Track Natz Crash - By popular demand...

It was one of the points race qualifiers races at 2001 Elite Natz in Blaine. Coming into turn 3 early in the race, a rider dropped down, without looking, right into Doug Beck. He hit Beck so hard, that he fell to the center of the track. I was at speed right behind Doug, and had no where to go. I went over the bars, hitting face first on the infield, and rolled to a stop. Amazingly, a photographer captured the latter part of the crash. Nothing broken, but my face was pretty torn up. Black eye, deep laceration below my nose, and a fat lower lip.

I briefly thought about giving up on bike racing, but it didn't last long. I raced the rest of 2001 on the track, but didn't return to pack racing there until 2008.




3 comments:

Tenacious T said...

Those photos are awesome!

I, too, have toyed with the idea of hanging it up. I think ultimately I'll keep racing, but you start to question if it's worth it.

Great post!

EmilyBlanche said...

OWW!!!

That is NOT a good photo! OW, Jimmer! That's horrible...

Rich said...

I tried one of those tri-spoke military style chopper blade wheels in a brick crit one time.. Those are great!

THAT DUDE you crashed with is SMILING during the crash. lol