Sunday, May 24, 2009

Melon City Crit - Experience for Jordan, Podium for Jimmer


Jordan opted for 3 races at Muscatine on Sunday, Older Juniors, Cat 4's, and Younger Juniors. The course was an Opus-like (only in beautiful Weed Park) mile circuit, with a fast down hill, and a power climb followed by a tight corner to the finish. Positioning is everything to finish well.

Older juniors was his first race. He was well positioned for much of the race, but the speeds were very high. He found out how tough it is to hold position in a fast race, especially on the power climb. He found himself frustrated at the back of the field in the final laps. It was a tough lesson to swallow, but this kind of experience is the reason we came down to Quad Cities.

Cat 4 was his next race. He fared much better, and rode aggressively. He got in several moves, and held great position through out the race. Unfortunately, he got boxed in the last time up the climb, and was shut out of the field sprint. Another valuable lesson. Use the rest of the race to judge how the finish will set up, and figure out where you need to be when its money time.

Jordan's final race was the younger juniors, which he won solo. The win cheered him up a bit, especially the podium interview.

I raced the Masters 40+ with 35 or so racers. Dale Sedgewick was there to animate the race, and was off the front for most of the race. I followed the un-written rule of don't chase down your local racer, and stayed tucked in the pack. At the start of the bell lap, Sedgewick was out of sight with Brian Koeneman and another rider as company. Another group of 3 was in between the pack and the lead 3. I attacked at the top of the downhill, caught the group of 3 at the base of the climb, and sprinted past them. By the time I got to the top, I was surprised to find myself passing Sedgewick. A look over my shoulder at the final corner, and I had an ample gap to cruise in for 3rd. Koeneman won, with James Cochran 2nd. It was definitely not according to any plan, but I was thrilled with the result.

I also opted for the Masters 30+ race, but pulled out after a couple laps. My head just wasn't in the race. Teammate Doig finished 8th.

2 comments:

Rich said...

The Quad Cities races are big but I dont think I'll do them again for several seasons... The Duluth race has grown and is far better quality overall than the 60min + 2 laps against a bunch of doped up kamikazi's going for $50 and socks.

H-WooD said...

WeeD Park, RULEZ!
way ta ride boys.